How do I get my deposit back?

Prior to the completion of your tenancy, you will receive a ‘Notice to Quit’ letter. This will explain that you will need to make sure that you provide proof of payment for your final utility bills (water, electric, gas), and will be complete with meter readings before your deposit can be processed at the end of your tenancy.

Additionally, all tenants must have cleared their accounts and have no outstanding rent payments or charges. All of the utility companies will also need to be contacted and provided with meter readings and forwarding addresses. You must ensure that the date of the meter readings/billing corresponds to the end of tenancy date.

Once all of this information has been handed over, the landlord will contact the lead tenant to discuss the return of your deposit.

Will I get my full deposit back?

Provided that the property is in the exact state as when you entered it – that is clean, lettable, with all property removed and without damage (exceeding wear and tear) – then you will be fully reimbursed of your deposit. If the property requires to be cleaned by a third party, or if any property remains, then the costs will be deducted from your deposit.

Helpful tip – don’t have your moving out party the night before your tenancy ends, as this might very well end up costing you a fortune (go to someone else’s instead;)).

How can I ensure I receive all my post after the tenancy has ended?

The easiest way to accomplish this is through Royal Mail’s Home Redirection Service, which will ensure that all of your mail is forwarded from your old address to your new one. However, it is best practice to also provide all necessary sources (banks, credit card, utility companies, insurance etc.) with your forwarding address.

Any damages to the property or equipment failures must be reported immediately.

Occasionally you may encounter a problem with the plumbing, gas or electrics in your property for which you will require a service person to come and fix.

Other accidents may also happen, such as damages to furnishings, walls, ceilings or carpets. Should any of these issues occur then you must report them immediately. (Please note that it is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure that all light bulbs are replaced and working.)

To do so, either email on, phone 0114 266 9900, or come into the office and fill out a property problem report form.

Latest from our blog

Developing Good Study Habits

Studying is all about getting yourself in the right frame of mind for extended periods of concentration. Lots of different people do this in lots of different ways, and so there are no hard and...

Read more

Tips On Keeping Your Student Accommodation Clean

You will no doubt have been shouted at to keep your things – your room, your clothes, your dishes, your washing – clean and tidy your whole life. Right from the moment we are born,...

Read more

The 5 Most Annoying Types Of Housemate

Living with people ain’t easy. That’s just a fact. You will remember how many arguments you’ve had with your siblings over the years. They’re your own flesh and blood, and yet there have been countless...

Read more

Dissertation: 3 Tips To Make Your Dissy A Doddle

There are certain milestones in your life that pave the way to adulthood (and then right on through to the grave, but let’s not worry about those yet). Each one is surrounded by its own...

Read more