Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What are your office opening hours?

Monday to Friday 9:00am – 4:30pm

When should we start looking for Sheffield student accommodation?

The search usually begins at during October/November for the following academic year. Please note that by Christmas it’s usually the case that the majority of our properties have been taken so early viewings are advised to avoid disappointment.

Students talking in a bedroom

How long in advance do we need to book if we want to look at some student houses?

Normal practice is to give current tenants 24 hours notice. However, on some occasions viewings can be made on the same day with the existing tenants permission. Call us on 0114 266 9900, email or come in person to the office at Collegiate Crescent and Ecclesall Road to arrange a viewing.

Do we meet you at the property or do we need to come to the office?

You will need to come to the office prior to the viewing and we will take you from here.  Occasionally we will meet you outside the property.

Do you do viewings on Saturdays?

Yes we do – from 10:30am – 4:30pm during November and December only.

Are all your Sheffield student properties furnished?

Yes they are – all are fully modern furnished which includes a 3/4 double bed, wardrobe, desk/chair, bedside table, bookshelves and tall boy drawers.  All bedrooms have either blackout curtains or blinds and all bedroom doors have locks.  Settees, coffee/tv tables are provided in the living room and washing machine, fridge/freezers, oven/hob and microwave are provided in kitchens.  However you must provide your own bedding and kitchen utensils (crockery and cutlery) along with cleaning utensils including vacuum, floor mop and bucket etc.

All our proeprties are double glazed with window locks, outside security lights and are fitted with burglar alarms.

In two or more bedroom properties, can more than one person live in the same room?

No. The price is per individual person per bedroom in the house.

Do you have any student houses where I can just rent one room?

Yes we do. These will be in shared student houses, where you will have your own bedroom but will share the communal facilities with the rest of the house.

Do you offer student properties with bills included?


What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

This is a document that states how environmentally friendly and energy efficient a property is. All of our properties’ EPCs are available to view with one week’s notice.

Do I need a TV License?

Yes, but just one per property. Find more details and sign up for a payment schedule at TV Licensing.

Should I take out contents Insurance?

Yes, your goods and possessions are your own responsibility in the property. Endsleigh Student Insurance is the company the NUS recommends.

Are pets Allowed?

No. Sorry.

Do you provide kitchen utensils or do we need to bring our own?

We provide fridge/freezers, washing machines, microwaves, oven/hob etc, however, we do not provide cutlery or crockery.  We also do not provide vacuums or bins/buckets/floormops, toaster, kettle etc

Is the internet installed?

If you are paying for Bills All Inclusive then "Yes".

However, if you are sorting your own bills out then, "No", we don't.  However, there are phone points for tenants the connection of wireless routers. Specialist student broadband packages are also available through popular ISPs.

Do you offer a Summer discount?

Occasionally, if we’re refurbishing a property, then a summer discount may be available. Contact the office for details.

Can I bring my own furniture?

We request that tenants do not bring their own furniture, as all furnishings that are brought into the property must comply with the furniture and furnishings safety regulations.

How long are the tenancy agreements for?

12 months. However, this is dependent on whether or not the student property is due for refurbishment.

Do I need a deposit?

Yes. The deposit will be registered with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS). Only one deposit is required for the student property (per tenant), which means that if you decide to stay with us in the same property for longer than 1 year then you will not need to make a second deposit.

What is the best way of paying the deposit?

We accept cash, card or online transfer. Contact our offices for more details.

Students studying in a living room area

When should I pay the deposit?

We will collect your deposit at the time of signing the contract.

What agreements do I need to sign?

You will sign a fixed term short hold tenancy agreement. This contract will be legally binding and will make you liable for rental payments for the full duration of the contract.

How do I ensure I get the keys?

Once you and all other tenants have paid your deposits and made your upfront initial rental payments, the keys will be available for collection at our office on the first day of the tenancy.

In which areas of Sheffield do you offer student accommodation?

Claypenny offers a wide range of Sheffield student accommodation in the Sheffield Hallam and Ecclesall Road areas, including Sharrow, Brincliffe, Endcliffe, Broomhall, Broomhill, and even some student houses quite near to the Sheffield city centre.

On our property search page, you can click the link at the top left to view all of our Sheffield student properties on a map.

What happens on the day I move into my Sheffield student accommodation?

On your first day of tenancy you’ll be able to collect your keys from our offices. You will have already been sent a "Welcome Pack" by email prior to key pick up which includes the office contact details and opening hours, as well as other information on refuse collection, security and utility suppliers, emergency/out of hours contact no etc. When you collect your keys you will also be given an inventory checklist and property problem report. Our staff will also be available to help with any queries.

How do I notify your office of any problems with the property at the start of the tenancy?

You will be given a problem report form when you collect your keys or you can call us on 0114 2669900, email us on or come into the office in person.

Do I get an inventory when I move in?

Yes. The first person to collect the keys will be given an inventory and schedule of condition. This is an important document that describes all of the items and their condition throughout the student property. You should check to ensure that all of the items are present in the property that are listed on the inventory, and that they are in the condition described. If anything is missing or damaged and has not been noted on the inventory at this stage you should contact the office immediately. This is the document that we will use when you vacate the property to ensure that all items are present and are in the same condition as when you arrived.

How often do we have to pay rent?

Dates for payment can be found on the tenancy agreement. Generally rent payments are made in 3 instalments as follows although in some circumstances we can look at other payment schedules to suit:

  • June
  • October
  • January

How do I pay the rent?

Via direct debit. This is where you will authorize you bank to automatically pay your landlord a fixed amount on specific dates or at regular intervals.

Can my parents pay for my rent?


Can I decorate?

No. We have our own contractors who carry out all of our Sheffield student accommodation decorations.

How do I go about registering the utility bills in my name?

To do this you should make a note of the meter readings and serial numbers, and then register the gas, electric and water in your name by contacting the utility provider. You will also need to provide us with a copy of this information.

What happens if something breaks down?

Either email us on or phone 0114 266 9900. You can also come into the office and fill out a property problem report form.

Can I leave the contract earlier?

The Assured Short Hold Tenancy Agreement that you sign will mean that you are legally bound to the property until the end of your tenancy agreement. However, if you can find someone to replace you, then we may consider ending your tenancy early. Your replacement will be required to meet all of our criteria and be able to provide full guarantor details prior to the ending of your tenancy. 

What happens if I fall into arrears?

You will need to contact our office as soon as you are aware that there may be an issue with payment. If you communicate with us then we may be able to help you – just don’t ignore the problem, say nothing, and hope that it will go away. It won’t!!

Can the final utility bills be paid out of the deposit?

No. if your bills are in your name, then it is your responsibility to see that they are paid in full.

What should I do with the keys at the end of the tenancy?

Return them to our office no later than 12 noon on the final day of your tenancy. Without the keys, the new tenants will not be able to move in, and, if you do not return the keys then you will be charged for the locks to be replaced, and may also be liable to pay for housing the new tenants in a hotel whilst the locks are changed, or the keys are eventually returned.

Our complaints procedure - a guide for tenants

We are committed to providing a good standard of accommodation and an excellent service throughout your tenancy with us.  Whilst we hope you should have no reason to complain, if something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with what we are providing, please tell us as we value all complaints (we value all constructive feedback – both positive and negative) and use information learnt from them to help improve our service and your experience with us.

You can download a copy of our complaints procedure here

How do I get my deposit back?

Prior to the completion of your tenancy, you will receive a ‘Notice to Quit’ letter. This will explain that you will need to make sure that you provide proof of payment for your final utility bills (water, electric, gas), and will be complete with meter readings before your deposit can be processed at the end of your tenancy.

Additionally, all student accommodation tenants must have cleared their accounts and have no outstanding rent payments or charges. All of the utility companies will also need to be contacted and provided with meter readings and forwarding addresses. You must ensure that the date of the meter readings/billing corresponds to the end of tenancy date.

Once all of this information has been handed over, the landlord will contact the lead tenant to discuss the return of your deposit.

Will I get my full deposit back?

Provided that the property is in the exact state as when you entered it – that is clean, lettable, with all property removed and without damage (exceeding normal wear and tear) – then you will be fully reimbursed of your deposit. If the property requires to be cleaned by a third party, or if any property remains, then the costs will be deducted from your deposit.

Helpful tip – don’t have your moving out party the night before your tenancy ends, as this might very well end up costing you a fortune (go to someone else’s instead!!).

How can I ensure I receive all my post after the tenancy has ended?

The easiest way to accomplish this is through Royal Mail’s Home Redirection Service, which will ensure that all of your mail is forwarded from your old address to your new one. However, it is best practice to also provide all necessary sources (banks, credit card, utility companies, insurance etc.) with your forwarding address.  It is important for you to redirect your post on the day you move out.

Any damages to the property or equipment failures must be reported immediately.

Occasionally you may encounter a problem with the plumbing, gas or electrics in your property for which you will require a service person to come and fix.

Other accidents may also happen, such as damages to furnishings, walls, ceilings or carpets. Should any of these issues occur then you must report them immediately. 

To do so, either email on, phone 0114 266 9900, or come into the office and fill out a property problem report form.